Information for Music Education Students


Important Dates

March 23, 2018 — Music Teacher Education Program Application due for music education students. First submission of InTASC Model Core Teaching Standards Portfolio due.

April 16, 2018 — Student Teacher Application (Spring 2018 student teaching) due for music education students. Second submission of InTASC Model Core Teaching Standards Portfolio due.

May 14, 2018 — Third submission of InTASC Model Core Teaching Standards Portfolio due.

Music Education Applications

Application to the Music Teacher Education Program (Spring 2018)

Application for Music Student Teaching (Spring 2018)

Documents and Helpful Information

Conceptual Framework

Professional Learning Community

Music Education - Extended Studies Internship

Checkpoints for Progress through the Music Education Degree

Portfolio Information

CPR/Heimlich Maneuver Certification (IDOE Website)

Suicide Prevention and Intervention Training (IDOE Website)

InTASC Model Core Teaching Standards

IMEA Professional Development Conference (Jan. 11-13, 2018)

Join or renew your NAfME membership

Criminal Background Check Information

Obtaining a Limited Criminal Background Check from the Indiana State Police

There are three ways to accomplish this:

In person: Indiana State Police, Central Repository,
100 N. Senate Avenue, Room N302, Indianapolis, IN 46201 (Cost is $7)

By mail: Send Indiana State Form 8053 with a money order made payable to the State of Indiana for $7. To locate downloadable form, along with information for submitting it, go to

Online This is more costly at $16.32, however, up to five reports may be ordered and printed immediately.

NOTE: on page 3, “Reason For Request”
#2 Applicant has applied for a license and criminal history data is required by law to be provided in connection with the license. Set out authority:
Use the following code in the boxes provided: IC 20-6.1-3-7.1

Frequently Asked Music Education Questions

If I take a summer course at another university, and the course credit is 3, will I receive one full credit for that course at DPU?

No. When you take a course at another university that is 3 semester hours, DPU will accept that credit amount, but only for .75 credit.  The .75 credit will be applied to the requirement of the course (i.e., .75 in BIO can be applied to the DePauw BIO requirement), but the remaining .25 must be made up so that you earn the correct amount of credit to graduate.  Major ensembles and chamber music cannot be used to satisfy that .25 credit.  Applied secondary instruments can be used to apply to this .25 credit, but you will have to pay a fee for those lessons.

IMPORTANT NOTE: When investigating summer courses, check the other university’s online catalog and course description.  Notice if the course is a 3-hour course or a 4-hour course.  A 4-hour course from another university WILL transfer as a 1-hour course at DPU, but a 3-hour course will only transfer as a .75 credit course (a 5-hour course will transfer as 1.25 credits to DePauw). 

When is MUS 255 – Music Education Lab offered, and what credit amount do I sign up for?

Music Education Lab (three semesters of which are required for all music education majors) is offered every Spring semester.  First-Year and Sophomore music education students sign up for .25 credit; Juniors register for .50.  The reason is that Juniors are responsible for most of the planning, preparation, and teaching that takes place during the semester. 

For MUS 375 — Field Experience, do I need to take this every time I register for a Methods course?

No. MUS 375* only needs to be taken one time.  Register for it when you take any Methods course: Elementary General Methods, Vocal Methods, or Instrumental Methods.

A second MUS 375 course can be used as a music education elective.

*MUS 375 only applies to students graduating between 2016 and 2018.

When are music education courses, as well as Education Studies courses, offered so I can plan for my future semesters?

Music Education and Education Studies courses will be offered in the following sequences:

MUS 251, 252, 253, 254 Techniques Courses: The four Techniques courses are offered in a consistent, two-year rotation:
MUS 253: Brass Techniques — Fall 2016, 2018, 2020
MUS 251: Percussion Techniques — Spring 2017, 2019, 2021
MUS 254: Woodwind Techniques — Fall 2017, 2019, 2021
MUS 252: String Techniques — Fall 2016, 2018, 2020

MUS 255: Music Education Lab — every Spring

MUS 352: Secondary Vocal Music: Methods and Materials — every other Fall semester
Fall 2017
Fall 2019
Fall 2021

MUS 351: Elementary General Music Methods and Materials — every other Fall semester
Fall 2016
Fall 2018
Fall 2020

MUS 354: Elementary and Secondary Instrumental Methods — every other Fall semester
Fall 2017
Fall 2019
Fall 2021

EDUC 222: Developmental Theories in Education — generally every semester; however, this depends on the schedule set by the Education Studies department.  Consult the Chair of Education Studies and the schedule of classes each semester.  It is highly recommended that this course be taken no later than the second semester of the Sophomore year.

May I take other courses while student teaching?

During the student teaching semester, students will only enroll in MUS 451 – Student Teaching and MUS 452 – Senior Seminar for Music Educators.

Indiana Department of Education - Job Bank